Game, music and lyrics by Jenny Gillan
Clapping circle or line game
Thank you again to my students at the Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School for their enthusiastic participation. Especially to the students from Orientation Week who came in especially. None of this would be possible without James Lauritz who filmed it all, donated his time and skill and was such an ease and pleasure to work with. Thank you, James!
Teaching Purpose: Compound time Major tonality practice ‘ti’ by step (first line) Syncopation in 6/8
Formation: Can be done sitting/standing in chairs or in a circle. Even number of participants if standing in a circle. Before beginning get students to nominate every 2nd person as A or B. Decide on who their first side partner is and who their second side partner is. Inform them that the As go down and touch the ground first.
Activity: Actions done to the beat
- Tap both hands of people on either side out around shoulder height
- tap both knees
Repeat for entire song
- To side around shoulder height, all left palms down, right palms up clap partners on both sides hands.
- To side around shoulder height, all RIGHT palms down, LEFT palms up clap partners on both sides hands.
- Turn body to side partner and tap both hands
- Clap and turn to the other side for second side partner
- Tap both hands of side partner
- Clap and turn back to first partner
- ‘A’ students touch the ground. ‘B’ students tap the hands of the next ‘B’ person ie. over the top of the ‘A’s who are touching the ground (unless something has gone wrong!)
- ‘A’s clap while standing up. ‘B’s clap while bobbing down to touch the floor
- ‘B’ students touch the ground. ‘A’ students tap the hands of the next ‘B’ person ie. over the top of the ‘A’s who are touching the ground
Sing doing Action 1 for half a song, Action 2 for the other half of the song.
Sing doing Action 3 for half the song, Action 4 for the other half of the song.
Sing doing Action 1 for phrase one, Action 2 for phrase 2 etc.